K9 Nose Work Camp Add-On Day
with Jill Marie O'Brien and Amy Herot
Two Seminars in One Day!
Leash Handling in Tight Spaces with Jill Marie O'Brien
Building and Maintaining the Inaccessible Hide with Amy Herot
At JCC Perlstein Retreat, Lake Deltion, WI
Tuesday,October 20, 2020
9:00am - approx. 4:00pm
This event is open to everyone. You do not need to be a WI K9NW Camp participant to attend.
This day will be split into two 3-hour seminars. You'll spend a half day with each instructor. Half the group will attend Amy's seminar in the morning, with the other half attending Jill Marie's seminar. After lunch, you'll switch places, affording everyone the opportunity to learn from both founders.
Registration is limited to 60 attendees.
Leash Handling in Tight Spaces – Jill Marie O’Brien
What leash should you use for a search? How long should it be? How should it be managed? Should you work off leash? These are common questions handlers ponder that can be answered through an understanding of the environment in which you are working. Knowing how and when to adjust your leash handling, particularly in tight and busy spaces, is the central theme of this education day. Live demos and discussion will guide participants through the analysis of a space and how your positioning with your dog can affect the odor picture for better or worse.
Building and Maintaining the Inaccessible Hide – Amy Herot
Success of the inaccessible hide is built upon the dog’s understanding of the odor picture, where odor is coming from, and what he is supposed to communicate about it. Participants will review the components that introduce the concept of inaccessible to the dog, how to generalize the understanding and maintain strength in that ability without eroding a strong sense of source. Through live demos and discussion, Amy will illustrate a variety of inaccessible hide scenarios and how and when they apply in the dog’s training trajectory.
DEMO DOGS needed (limited number):
Demonstration dogs must be on all odors, have the ability to work confidently in front of a large group in a novel environment, be quiet in a crate when not working, and be friendly/ neutral with strangers.
Handlers must feel comfortable talking about the searches and getting feedback in front of the group. An effort will be made to provide a variety of dogs, search styles, and levels to maximize group learning. Selected demonstration teams will pay an additional $20/half day. Selected teams will be notified 2 - 3 weeks before the seminar and will be billed through PayPal for the additional fee/s.
If you would like to nominate your dog for the demos (including your non-working dog if one came to camp with you), in the comments field of the registration form, tell us your dog's name, age, breed, title level, odors the dog is working and any other information that you would like us to know.
“I attended the Add-on day for the first time last year, and it was the single best day of training and learning that I've ever experienced. I'm excited to attend again this year!" – KB
Tuition for the Add-On Day
(Includes three meals and camper's current housing)
- $235 if you register and pay on or before July 15
- $265 if you register and pay after July 15
Logistics Team Members only (Camp helpers)
- $150 if you register and pay on or before July 15
- $175 if you register and pay after July 15
Registration will close on August 9 or when seminar is full.
2020 WI Camp Add-On Day Cancellation Policy:
Cancellation and Refund policy is as follows:
- Cancellations received within 3 days of registration, full refund. If you change your mind about attending the event within 3 days of your registration, a full refund will be offered.
- No refunds after the 72-hour cancellation period listed above
- Participant may transfer registration to another qualified camper for the Add-On Day
- Dogs of Course will keep a wait list to help assist campers in finding a replacement in case she/he needs to cancel.
- Seminar tuition cannot be transferred to another event.
- Campers that have to leave early for their own reasons or are "No-shows” will not receive a refund.
- Participants asked to leave the event/property by the camp director or lead instructors will not be refunded any part of the tuition.
- No part of the tuition fee will be refunded if the event cannot take place or be completed by reason of fire, civil disturbances, an Act of God, public emergency, or any other cause beyond the control of the camp organizers.
- If the workshops do not fill and the camp cancels, currently registered participants will be refunded in full.
This policy applies to participants that must withdraw for ANY reason, including but not limited to injury, illness, emergency, weather/driving, and personal or work-related reasons. This policy is without exception.
If you have concerns about the cancellation/refund policy, please consider researching "Trip/Travel Insurance" options independently
Continuing Education Credits:
6 CEUs for CPDT-KA/KSA
JCC Perlstein Retreat Center
Lake Delton, WI 53940
From Interstate 90 (E or W)
- Take Exit 89 (Lake Delton/Reedsburg exit)
- Exit east towards Lake Delton
- Follow Highway 23 and make a left onto Wisconsin Dells Parkway (traffic light)
- After approximately 1/2 miles, turn left on Newsome (at the Citgo Gas Station/Subway)
- Turn right onto Clara Avenue
- Perlstein will be on your left around the bend. Please drive slowly as there may be wildlife (particularly deer) who may be in the road.
Pet Friendly Hotels near JCC Perlstein Retreat Center If you are bringing a dog, CHECK PET POLICIES BEFORE MAKING RESERVATIONS! Make sure you understand ALL the fees and restrictions. Policies and rates may change.
Days Inn, 2054 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy, Wisconsin Dells (5 minutes away)
We have reserved a block of Rooms for camp (October 14-21, 2020)
3 Two Queen Bedroom $65.99 + tax
4 Single Queen Bedroom $59.99 + tax
Group Code: CGDOGS
Cut-Off Date: September 30, 2020
The pet fee will be $15 per night per room. There are two ways to reserve a room with the special camp rate: Go to www.daysinn.com and enter the group code CGDOGS in the special rates section, along with the rest of the reservation details. If the reservation details are filled out correctly, after checking the availability of the rooms, it should display the correct group name on top of the web page and corresponding rates. The second way to reserve your room is to call to make reservations at 608-254-9847 and mention they you are a part of the Dogs of Course group block. These rooms will be held under this block until September 30, 2020. If you need to cancel, you must do so 72 hours ahead before arrival. If you have any questions, please call Days Inn at 608-254-9847.
- A new LaQuinta will be opening in Wisconsin Dells in 2020. We will update this page with information when it becomes available.
- Baker's Sunset Bay, 921 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells (5 minutes away)
Phone: 608-254-8406; Dog Fees: $15/pet/day. 2 dogs per room
Rooms from $80
- All Star Value Inn, 1311 Broadway, Wisconsin Dells (7 miles away)
Phone: 608-253-2784; Dog Fees: $20/pet/day
Rooms from $50
- Super 8, 800 County Road H, Wisconsin Dells (7 minutes away) - poor reviews, use caution
Phone: 608-678-3876; Dog Fees: $20/pet/day. 2 dogs per room
Rooms from $50
- AmericInn, 550 State Hwy 13, Wisconsin Dells (5 minutes away)
Phone: 608-254-1700; Dog Fees: $30/pet/day. 2 dogs per room. 80 pounds max
Rooms from $75
These two hotels do not allow pets, but are nearby options for auditors
- Wingate, 1030 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy, Lake Delton (1 minute away)
Phone: 608-254-9174; NO pets.
Rooms from $75
- Ramada, 1073 Frontage Road E., Wisconsin Dells (6 minutes away)
Phone: 608-678-3883; NO pets
Rooms from $64
Mirror Lake State Park, E10320 Fern Dell Rd, Baraboo, WI (just 5 minutes from camp)
Phone: 608-254-2333; Dogs allowed
May be closed for the season. Please contact the campground directly. Most campgrounds close in early October.
- Dane County, Madison, WI; 1 hour away
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International, Minneapolis, MN: 3 hours away
- Milwaukee, WI - 130 miles away
- Green Bay, WI - 128 miles away
Contact Dana Crevling at Crevling@dogsofcourse.com or leave a message at 508/529-3568 EST, 8am -7pm M-F. Messages will be returned within 2 business days.
Do not press ENTER until you are ready to submit the form results.
If you accidentally press it, just use your browser's Back button and start over.