The Path to Success at Elite
at WI K9NW Camp
JCC Perlstein Retreat Center
This event is open to ANYONE. You do not need to be a WI K9NW Camp participant to attend.
“The Path to Success at Elite”
With Kimberly Buchanan, CNWI
at JCC Perlstein Retreat Center, Lake Delton, WI
Monday, May 14, 2018
9:00am – approx. 4:45 pm
In this full day symposium, we’ll take a look at trial video to review various searches that are found at K9NW Elite competitions. We’ll examine and break down the building blocks that are needed to conquer those high-level challenges through “dog demos” and interactive audience participation. Many of the basic skills needed at Elite are necessary at all levels of competition, so how can you put it all together from the onset for a successful progression to Elite?
This seminar is appropriate for handlers of dogs at all levels, from those just starting a Nose Work dog to handlers who are currently competing at the Elite level. Instructors will benefit from the information provided as they guide their students to success at all levels of training.
About Kimberly Buchanan, CNWI
A founding member of NACSW™ and one of the founding 7 Certified Nose Work Instructors, Kim has been training since 2007 and competing in K9 Nose Work® since its inception. She and her Belgian Tervuren Oscar were one of the first few teams to title to an NW1 and NW2. She and her Terv Emmy were the first to have earned the challenging NW3 title as well as the first to have earned the NW3 Elite title (= NW3 x 3) in 2011. Kim and Emmy successfully competed in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 National Invitational events. Kim and Emmy earned a 2nd place in the first Elite trial in 2015. Kim qualified both Emmy and her male Tevuren, Zen, for the 2017 National Invitational. Kim ran Zen in 2017 and placed in individual searches as well as 4th place overall. Kim’s younger dogs are preparing to fill Emmy and Zen’s big paw prints.
Kim and her dogs have also trained and competed in Schutzhund, French Ring, Dock Diving, Agility, Herding, Tracking and Obedience. They have competed nationally as part of the Purina Incredible Dog Challenge, AKC and USDAA Agility and internationally in the 2011 and 2012 FMBB World Championships of Belgian Shepherds in Belgium and Italy.
Kim is a K9 Nose Work® Trial Judge and Certifying Official (NW1 – Elite). She is currently teaching K9 Nose Work® classes, running on-line education for NW enthusiasts and hosting other K9NW activities in Southern California through her company, Joyride K9 Dog Training. She is enthusiastically helping to bring the sport of K9NW to other regions of the US as Senior Faculty with the National Association of Canine Scent Work, LLC®.
Why we selected Kim:
Kim brings strong instructing skills and a deep and successful competition history to our sport. Her enthusiasm, analytical skills, and keen eye combined with her competition and Certifying Official experience make her a perfect choice to educate other NW enthusiasts on skills for successful competition. We hope you will take advantage of this rare opportunity. – Dana C.
Tuition for the Symposium Day - Campers, commuters, general admission
- $195 – This rate is for full time campers who are staying overnight at JCC Perlstein Retreat Center after the Symposium Day and check out the morning of 5/15/18. All meals and lodging included through checkout.
- $165 – This rate is for non-campers, commuters and campers who will be leaving immediately after the seminar. Campers must check out of their rooms in the morning before the start of the seminar. The cost includes lunch only.
Logistics Team Members only (Camp helpers)
- $135 – This rate is for LTM who are staying overnight at JCC Perlstein Retreat Center after the Symposium Day and check out the morning of 5/15/18. All meals and lodging included through checkout.
$125 – LTM Commuters, LTM who will be leaving immediately after the seminar. Campers must check out of their rooms in the morning before the start of the seminar. The cost includes lunch only.
Registration will close two weeks before the Symposium Day (April 30, 2018). Walk-in registration may be available for an additional $25 fee.
Continuing Education Credits:
2018 WI Camp Symposium Day Cancellation Policy:
Cancellation and Refund policy is as follows:
- Refunds stated below are for the tuition received and do not include housing as that is separate at Colorado Camp.
- Cancellations received within 3 days of registration, full refund. If you change your mind about attending the event within 3 days of your registration, a full refund will be offered.
- Cancellations received 60 days or more before the start date will be refunded less the $25 non-refundable deposit.
- Cancellations received between 60 and 30 days of the start date will be refunded 50% of the tuition after the $25 non-refundable deposit is deducted.
- Due to the nature of running a workshop in conjunction with a dog training camp cancellations received 30 days or fewer before the start date will not receive a refund.
- Participant may transfer registration to another person for Symposium Day ONLY. The participant is responsible for finding a replacement and working out reimbursement arrangements.
- Campers that have to leave early for their own reasons or are "No-shows” will not receive a refund.
- Participants asked to leave the event/property by the camp director or lead instructors will not be refunded any part of the tuition.
- No part of the tuition fee will be refunded if the event cannot take place or be completed by reason of fire, civil disturbances, an Act of God, public emergency, or any other cause beyond the control of the camp organizers.
This policy applies to participants that must withdraw for ANY reason, including but not limited to injury, illness, emergency, weather/driving, and personal or work-related reasons. This policy is without exception.
If you have concerns about the cancellation/refund policy, please consider researching "Trip/Travel Insurance" options independently
- Non-Campers attending the symposium day only may commute or they can make hotel reservations locally if they wish to stay over in the area.
- This is not a working event. Please leave dogs home or in your room (if you are already an onsite camper) or vehicle. Specific demonstration dogs will be selected ahead of time.
- No audio or video taping please.
- Plan to dress in layers for inside and outside observation if needed.
JCC Perlstein Retreat Center
Lake Delton, WI 53940
From Interstate 90 (E or W)
- Take Exit 89 (Lake Delton/Reedsburg exit)
- Exit east towards Lake Delton
- Follow Highway 23 and make a left onto Wisconsin Dells Parkway (traffic light)
- After approximately 1/2 miles, turn left on Newsome (at the Citgo Gas Station/Subway)
- Turn right onto Clara Avenue
- Perlstein will be on your left around the bend. Please drive slowly as there may be wildlife (particularly deer) who may be in the road.
Pet Friendly Hotels near JCC Perlstein Retreat Center
If you are bringing a dog, CHECK PET POLICIES BEFORE MAKING RESERVATIONS! Make sure you understand ALL the fees and restrictions. Policies and rates may change.
Baker's Sunset Bay, 921 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells (approx 2miles from camp)
Phone: 608-254-8406; Dog Fees: $15/pet/day
Room Rate: from $70
All Star Value Inn, 1311 Broadway, Wisconsin Dells (approx. 5 miles away)
Phone: 608-253-2784 Dog Fees: $20/pet/day
Room Rate: from $50
Super 8, 811 N. Frontage Rd., Wisconsin Dells (approx. 5 miles away) - poor reviews, use caution
Phone: 606-678-3876; Dog Fees: $20/pet/day
Room Rate: from $50
Mirror Lake Stare Park, E10320 Fern Dell Rd, Baraboo, WI (just 5 minutes from camp)
Phone: 608-254-2333; Dogs allowed
Contact Dana Crevling at Crevling@dogsofcourse.com or leave a message at 508/529-3568 EST, 8am -7pm M-F. Messages will be returned within 2 business days.
Do not press ENTER until you are ready to submit the form results.
If you accidentally press it, just use your browser's Back button and start over.