Elite Nose Work Practice Day
Kathe Baxter, Dana Crevling
September 30, 2017
We are sorry, this course is closed at this time
This Nose Work Practice will be for Elite titled teams. Working spots are filled, but we have auditing spots available.
Wait list for working spots is on the registration form.
Saturday, September 30, 2017
9:00AM - 4:30PM
281 Route 169
Registration will be at 9:00AM
Practice Your Skills to Prepare for Elite
- This event will run rain or shine.
- Expect anywhere from 16 - 25 hides and 4 - 5 searches.
- Each team will get to run a variety of timed search scenarios. There may be a short amount of time at the end of each search for the team to work through a problem they missed.
- Running orders will be random and change for each area so each team has the opportunity to run in a different order and participants can watch after their turn. Spectating after your turn is encouraged.
- Searches can be blind or known - your choice.
- We encourage you to video your searches for your personal educational purposes. Please do not post on social media sites or use for business purposes. You may wear a Go-Pro or have a family member, friend, or other competitor that has already searched videotape you.
- Bring your own cooler with your food and drinks. Have a tailgate picnic lunch with us and discuss the morning searches. You may bring your own lunch or purchase food from a nearby restaurant. The host will not provide hospitality for this event.
- Bring water and treats for your dog.
- Crating will be in participant's vehicle. We may drive around the fairgrounds to get closer to the searches.
- There is no shade in parking area. Bring shade to cover your vehicle.
- Please bring a folding chair that can be moved around the grounds, if you wish to sit.
- Please read this event's refund policy below before you register. Registration confirms that you accept the refund policy.
- All communication will be done via e-mail. Make sure your SPAM filters can accept our mail so you are properly informed.
- Approximately 14 dogs will be accepted.
- ANY DOG with an NW3 Elite or higher is welcome to attend. Others may be considered after September 1st.
- If registration does not fill with Elite titled dogs by September 1, we will accept NW3 dogs or possibly dogs that don't have an NW3 but have a strong foundation and skill competency with Elite level skills. Please contact Dana Crevling via e-mail to discuss your dog's ability to run in the Elite Practice if your dog does not have an Elite title.
- One handler may enter more than one dog AFTER all first dog and handler teams with Elite dogs are accommodated. Please contact Dana Crevling via e-mail to put your second dog on the list for registration.
- Dog reactive dogs should wear a red bandana. There will not be any specific reactive dog parking. We ask that all dogs stay at least 8' from each other.
- Dogs must be people friendly or neutral.
- Please walk dogs on 6' leads for safety. No flexis or long lines except in search areas.
- Please keep dogs crated or secured in your vehicle when not toileting them or searching. NACSW parking lot and dog policy rules.
- We will have a limited number of auditing spaces available for those that want to watch the dogs work. Auditing is $40 for the day.
- Participants can bring a family member or friend to watch or video their searches at no charge. If the person also wants to watch other teams it will be considered auditing and payment is required.
Kathe Baxter, CNWI and Dana Crevling, CNWI will be hide setters for the searches. Others may be added.
Limit: Approx. 14 dogs
- $95 per dog/handler team - full
- $40 for auditors
Registration for working spots filled quickly, but we do have auditing spots available. Please click on the registration link to get on our waitlist for a working spot or to attend as an auditor.
See "The Dogs" section above for information on qualifications to enter this Elite Practice Trial.
Refunds are available minus $25 administration fee through September 1, 2017
No refunds for cancellations after September 1, 2017 for any reason including, but not limited to: illness, injury, emergency or inclement weather. The participant may transfer her/his entry to another qualified team that has an NW3 Elite title or higher. The fill-in participant will check in at registration with her/his new information.
If the host cancels the event, a full refund will be given to the participant within 14 days.
This event will run rain or shine.
281 Route 169
Woodstock, CT 06281
Located on Routes 169 and 171 in South Woodstock, CT.
From Hartford, CT
Take Interstate 84 to Exit 73, follow Route 190E (to Union, CT) to Route 171. Either follow Route 171 directly to Fairgrounds or bear left on Route 197 to North Woodstock and follow Route 169 South to the Fairgrounds.
From Worcester MA and New London, CT
Follow Interstate 395 South from Worcester or North from New London and Norwich exiting at Exit 47. Follow Route 44 west to Putnam, turning west on Route 171. The Fairgrounds is approximately 4.5 miles from this intersection.
Hotels near the Woodstock Fairgrounds:
If you are attending a working seminar, CHECK PET POLICIES BEFORE MAKING RESERVATIONS! Make sure you understand ALL the fees and restrictions. Policies and rates may change.
The following hotels are dog friendly:
America’s Best Value Inn, 5 Heritage Rd., Putnam, CT (approx. 4.5 miles away)
Phone: 860-928-7961; Dog Fees: $15/pet/night
Room Rate: $70+
Not recommended by the Fairgrounds, but an option that is nearby
Comfort Inn, 16 Tracy Rd., Dayville, CT (approx. 9 miles away)
Phone: 860-779-3200; Dog Fees: $15/pet/night
Room Rate: $120+
EconoLodge, 408 Main St., Sturbridge, MA (approx. 15 miles away)
Phone: 508-347-7327; Dog Fees: $20/pet/night
Room Rate: $65+
Days Inn, 400 Haynes Rd., Sturbridge, MA (approx. 15 miles away)
Phone: 508-347-1978; Dog Fees: $10/pet/night
Room Rate: $50+
Publick House Inn & Motor Lodge, 277 Main St., Sturbridge, MA (approx. 15 miles away)
Phone: 855-213-0582; Dog Fees: $25/pet/night
Room Rate: $89+
Sturbridge Host Hotel, 366 Main St., Sturbridge, MA (approx. 15 miles away)
Phone: 508-347-7393: Dog Fees: $25/night
Room Rate: $120+
NO RV PARKING FOR THIS EVENT ON THE PROPERTY.
The fairgrounds employees may be working around the facility. There may be a dog on the property that will be leashed/kept at the office.