Plans for 2018 are in the works!There are not currently any courses scheduled. Please check back later.
Reintroduced in 2015, this course is designed for the dog trainer, training instructor, shelter worker or other pet professional who wants to increase her/his ability to transform problem behavior and train dogs in important skills needed for management, husbandry and daily life. The course focuses on building desired behavior as the solution to eliminating unwanted behavior. Expect lots of hands-on practice with the shelter dogs as well as brainstorming and evaluating training options. We will focus on building skills needed for a behaviorally healthy dog that can live harmoniously with his family as well as discuss how to work with the client to produce positive results.
Each student will have the opportunity to train two dogs.
Enrollment is limited to 10 full participants and up to 4 auditors to maximize personal attention and create a supportive atmosphere. Expect an intense educational experience in a fun environment.
Continuing Education Credits
CEU’s available for CCPDTs, IAABC members, and KPA-CTPs!
Because food fuels our bodies and has a direct effect on learning and stamina, meals are designed to tickle your palate, keep you healthy and satisfy your sweet tooth. Vegetarian selections are available upon request, however, we cannot cater to individual dietary needs. You will be served lunches, beverages and snacks.
ITC: Modifying Behavior is taught by Carolyn Barney, CNWI. Carolyn has 30 years of teaching, consulting, and problem solving experience. To learn more go click on “Meet the Faculty”
The instructing staff is subject to change. Staff may be added or subtracted depending on enrollment.
ITC: Modifying Behavior is an intermediate level course for the experienced professional or volunteer/hobby trainer interested in behavior work with shelter dogs and/or pet dogs. The course has minimum requirements for participation, which are based on experience and education.
All full registration participants should meet the following requirements by the start of course:
(1) A minimum of one year experience in one of the following:
• Instructing classes or private lessons an average of two/three classes per week
• Working full-time or part-time as a behavior counselor, adoption counselor or as a dog trainer at an animal shelter or rescue organization
• Training service dogs
(2) Attended at least 4 different behavior or training seminars/workshops (3-day training/behavior conferences count as two seminars. ITC graduates fulfill this requirement.
(3) Have a solid understanding of the language and application of learning theory and basic pet dog training skills.
Exceptions for full participation will be considered on an individual basis if:
• the student is an ITC alumni or alumni of another intensive dog-training course
• the student has other comparable skills/experiences not listed above
• if the student has a deep animal behavior, training or counseling background
Contact Dana if you have questions on the prerequisites.
Auditors at any level of experience are welcome. This is a great option for people interested in behavior, training enthusiasts or professionals that are just starting out as well as experienced professionals who just prefer to learn by listening and watching. As an auditor you may ask questions and participate in discussions. You will not participate in interactive units or animal training.
Our students are the best judges of the value and quality of the ITC experience. Check out what they have to say.
Take a look at our photo gallery from prior courses.
- $1595 – Full Registration: all activities and hands-on learning, lunch, snacks and support material
- $625 – Auditor Registration: auditing privileges, lunch, snacks and support material
- $1795 – Full Registration: all activities and hands-on learning, lunch, snacks and support material
- $725 – Auditor Registration: auditing privileges, lunch, snacks and support material
A $150 non-refundable non-transferable deposit is due at the time of registration. The balance of your tuition is due 60 days prior to the course.
You may pay for tuition by:
• Personal or Bank Check
• PayPal – using your account or opening a new account
• Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover through PayPal’s secure system
Complete payment information will come up on the screen after you complete registration or click on the link. ITC General Payment Information
Please familiarize yourself with the Registration/Refund Policy, and the Waiver before signing up.
If you have concerns about the cancellation/refund policy, please consider researching “Trip/Travel Insurance” options independently.