TX K9NW Camp Symposium Day
CYJ Texas Retreat & Conference Center
at Camp Young Judaea
The intent of this day is to provide additional education for all K9NW enthusiasts, instructors, and handlers to increase skills and knowledge.
This Symposium Day is for TX K9NW Campers as well as enthusiasts who would like to come for the day to attend the Symposium only.
Join us for the whole day! Start with breakfast at camp at 8:00AM and join us for dinner at 6pm if you wish.
Workshop hours: 9:00 4:00/4:30pm
Workshop Presenters: Amy Herot and Jill Marie O'Brien
Each instructor will teach 1/2 day.
You will attend both instructors¹ presentations, switching locations after lunch.
The Ins and Outs of Hide Placement for Training Dog and Handler
Understanding hide placement is a critical piece of the equation in training all K9 Nose Work® dogs. From the first exposure of foundation box work with primary through national competition preparation, the search dog learns by identifying and solving scent problems. So, it is important for the owner/trainer and instructor to set training scenarios that allow the dog to do his own learning at the rate appropriate for his experience level and maximize exposure to different scent pictures. Simultaneously, our job is to learn how the dog needs to work each problem through close observation and thoughtful evaluation, to gain more information about what is happening with odor in the search, and how it impacts each dog. This day will further your understanding of how to use strategic hide placement to increase learning and create a confident working dog.
This format of the Symposium Day will be a demo-based, hands-on interactive session that will include planning, real-time evaluation of different dogs working odor problems and post-search analysis of the results. The hides and dogs will guide the conversation and your learning.
Camp offers us a unique opportunity to explore a variety of hide placement puzzles and solutions. Depending upon the camp set-up, camper make-up, and availability of resources, you can expect to observe interior and/or exterior hide placement, training lessons and search strategies.
- Tuition includes three meals and overnight lodging (if you are already staying on site as a regular camper) on 1/22/2018. Breakfast is served the following morning before campers leave.
- Tuition for Symposium Day Attendees who did not attend camp will also include three meals PLUS a copy of the Camper Book of Exercises, created by our Camp Instructors and packed with great training exercises for you and your dog.
Continuing Education Credits for 2018 Symposium Day
6.5 CEUs from IAABC
3.5 CEUs from CCPDT for CPDT-KA/KSA
6 CEUs from NACSW for CNWI
2018 TX Camp Symposium Day Cancellation Policy:
Cancellation and Refund policy is as follows:
- Cancellations received within 3 days of registration, full refund. If you change your mind about attending the event within 3 days of your registration, a full refund will be offered.
- Cancellations received 60 days or more before the start date will be refunded less the $25 non-refundable deposit.
- Cancellations received between 60 and 30 days of the start date will be refunded 50% of the tuition after the $25 non-refundable deposit is deducted.
- Due to the nature of running a workshop in conjunction with a dog training camp cancellations received 30 days or fewer before the start date will not receive a refund.
- Campers that have to leave early for their own reasons or are "No-shows” will not receive a refund.
- Participants asked to leave the event/property by the camp director or lead instructors will not be refunded any part of the tuition.
- No part of the tuition fee will be refunded if the event cannot take place or be completed by reason of fire, civil disturbances, an Act of God, public emergency, or any other cause beyond the control of the camp organizers.
If you have concerns about the cancellation/refund policy, please consider researching "Trip/Travel Insurance" options independently.
We are sorry, this event is closed at this time